Monday, 18 February 2013

Millionaire's Shortbread

This is the first of my recipe based posts. I bake as much as I can and the best excuse is for my friends. This was for my psychology group who all seemed pretty pleased with it. And despite the fact I cobbled this together from a couple of different recipes and my inagination it seemed to work pretty well.



Ingredients

Shortbread base:

  • 6 ounces of plain flour
  • 4 ounces castor sugar
  • 2 ounces butter
  • pinch of salt

Topping

  • half a tin of caramel
  • 150 gram pack of plain chocolate

Method

  1. Mix flour, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs
  2. Press firmly into the 8 inch square tray. Prick the surface with a fork to prevent rising. I found this needed to be done carefully to prevent the mix breaking up.
  3. Cook for 1 hour in a preheated 150 degree oven. Check at about 40 mins as mine was nearly done at this point despite the book saying it would take an hour. It should be just golden brown and will crisp up when it comes out of the oven.
  4. Cool the base before spreading liberally with caramel.
  5. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. This lets the chocolate melt slowly and a nice glossy finish occurs. Carefully spoon over the base and caramel so no caramel can be seen underneath.
  6. Cool in the fridge until chocolate is solid.
  7. To serve cut into portions. I cut it into 9 but it is quite sweet so more may be better. To prevent craking that occured on mine dip your knife into warm water before cutting.


This was my first attempt at making this and I am very happy with the results. Sorry also about my jumping about in imperial and metric. This is due to my imperial scales and the ingredients being in metric. This conversion website should help you sort it into which ever you want to use.
Please give this a go and let me know the outcome.
Kate xx

No comments:

Post a Comment