Friday, 5 April 2013

How to: Create Knitted Flowers

This is follow up post from my knitted flowers I posted a week or so ago. When I posted them I was asked if I had a pattern for them. Priya at Perfectly Priya also suggested pinning them onto a headband to make a floral crown. So I thought " why not kill 2 birds with one stone" (that may be a weird English phrase I'm not sure), and do a post that included both of these idea.

For the flower with loopy petals i.e the purple and little pale flower on my headband
with 4mm needles, cast on 100 stitches
row 1: Knit 1, * cast of 12 stitches, knit 1. then repeat from * to last stitch, Knit 1.
Run a thread through the remaining stitches, pull tightly and fasten off.

For the other style of flower
Again use 4mm needles, cast on 7 stitches
Knit 3 rows
Row 4: Knit 3, with the left needle lift the second, third and fourth stitches that you have just worked over the first stitch
Row: 5 Knit
Row 6: Cast on 3 stitches so you are left with 7 stitches overall
Row 7: Knit
This creates one petal so repeat rows 1-7 five more times. On the last repeat finish on row 5. Cast off. Thread a length of yarn along the straight edge and pull tightly. Sew the seam.

The first flower is really simple so probably best to have a go at first. I learnt to make these with my Grandma who is patient with my knitting skills but honestly within a few minutes I could make these quite easily. I have changed the pattern slightly to make it a bit easier as well. The pattern was originally found at knit-today.com. If you need any other help contact me.
This is what I wore with my new flower crown. I must admit I made this quickly so I just used some brooches to attach the flowers to the band. It does mean that I can easily take them off though and I quite like how it turned out. It's a bit mismatched and I have to say very me!

I got this bag as a present for my birthday. Doesn't it just have the most adorable bird print? And, for more practical people, is roomy and has plenty of pockets.

Hope this is helpful and please let me know if you need more info
Kate xx

4 comments:

  1. i feel like i own every flower crown under the sun but i have none like that! that's so pretty- and also shows me how much more of sewing i need to learn haha. very cute

    xo Marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! I really wish I knew how to knit, this is truly unique :)

    xo

    Ashley

    Southern (California) Belle

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah, these flowers are so cute! i adore little knitted items!

    lindsey louise

    hellomrrabbitblog.com

    ReplyDelete