Tuesday, 22 April 2014

52 Lists: Seventeen

52 Lists: List the things you're grateful for

I thought I'd do this one a little bit differently because although there's a whole host of things I am grateful for but the one that burst into my mind the first time I saw the topic was my health. 

My health hasn't always been great. I haven't always been able to run and jump. I haven't always known I could do everything I ever wanted to. When I was very little I had very life threatening Meningitis. After what I imagine were a very scary couple of weeks for my parents I did respond to the treatment. I am now just left with some scarring but it remind me everyday of how things could have been so much different. It makes me very grateful to be here and prompts me to enjoy every single second!

Also when I was born I had a club foot which means me foot curled inwards rather than just nice and straight. I had several operations when I was little. I have had it in plaster, had to learn to walk again and even at the age of 4 had a zimmer frame. When I was at school I was very uncoordinated and I still run like a complete muppet. However over the years I have got really into sports, even representing my county at cricket. For someone that was told I may never walk or, in the worst moments, pull through I am so proud of myself. 

I now teach sports and dance to primary school children. I wear a splint on one of my legs to stop my ankle moving so it doesn't cause me too much pain. But neither of these things matter because the message I want to give both the children I teach and you is that whatever it is you want to do, you can do it. Hard work pays off. If you want some thing really put your mind to it and you will get there. 

What are you grateful for?
Check out Emma's post here
Kate xx

10 comments:

  1. That's most certainly something to be incrediblely thankful for! Well many things that lead to one major thing, your health. So glad you are healthy and doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my lovely! It's something that is very important

      Delete
  2. This is awesome, what an incredible story. It was only when my health took a nose-dive last year that I realised how blooming lucky I'd been for the previous 34 years. I'm now definitely grateful every day that I feel ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something we completely take for granted but can really halt you in your everyday life. I feel incredibly lucky!
      Kate xx

      Delete
  3. I think health is one of those things that everyone takes for granted unless and until there are problems. I know I'm guilty of that. I love the message you're giving out to the kids. I am grateful for my family (another thing most people are guilty of).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family is definitely something else that would have been on my list! It's so very important but something we don't think about much. I feel privileged to be a position to possibly inspire even one of them!
      Kate xx

      Delete
  4. Wow that must've been so hard for your parents seeing you so ill, I really feel for them! What an inspiration you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only as I've got older that I realise how scary that time must have been for them. I've just got on with it to be honest.
      Kate xx

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us, Kate. I think that experiencing something like this can give you such a helpful perspective on life and really drive home all the things there are to be grateful for. Keep doing what you're doing - your attitude is super xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww bless ya. I was a bit skeptical about sharing something quite personal, but I think it's worth it to show people the message I wanted to. A lot of thing are up to the attitude and effort you put in.
      Kate xx

      Delete