Sunday, 20 April 2014

National Letter Writing Month

A beautiful letter sent to me by a friend living in Scotland. The painting she has done makes it all the more special.

When did we all become so detached? So insistent on instant communication that we can't wait for a meaningful and thoughtful words. I feel like we live in an age where we use email and text as an easy for of communication. And granted it is useful but sometimes you need to hear someone's voice or to see their handwriting on a page. Otherwise it becomes impersonal. That could be a robot on the other end of screen! You lose the subtleties: the sarcasm and wit or your best friend, the warmth and guidance of your family and those happy, comfortable silences.

Also I find it quite rude. If people are attached to their devices in social situations it shuns those they are with. No one is going to want to have a face to face conversation with someone who is engrossed in their screen. I found myself doing this the other day and told myself off. I was just getting to the check out in a supermarket when my phone rings. It could have been important and turns out it was reasonably, but it could have waited. However I did pick up and proceeded through the check out whilst on the phone. I feel so bad and mouthed sorry many times to the poor lady on the till. But it's inexcusable and rude and I will not be doing it again.

Therefore in National Letter Writing Month I will be going back to the old school methods of communication. Those that leave you with a warm happy glow because you have really connected with the person you speak or write to. The ones that if you get a phone call or letter out of the blue it reminds you that the person is thinking of you and cares. 

This month I hope to send out some lovely letters and phone friends and family just for the joy of hearing their voices. 

Will you be taking part in National Letter Writing Month?
Kate xx

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree with this! I'm so so guilty of it though, I'm addicted to my phone and it annoys me so much! We always ban them when we're on holiday, we have a whole week of not checking our phones, no Twitter and no Facebook. It's so lovely :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I never take my phone on holiday and rarely have internet connection so it's always great to completely relax without any distractions.
      Kate xx

      Delete
  2. I love love love receiving a letter in the mail from a friend. There is nothing that can top it. And writing back is so fun. I definietly am guilt of my phone and social media but I have no problem putting it away when it's needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. It's always exciting getting something in the post that isn't a bill! No I think it's the fact that more effort and care has gone in. I love writing back :)
      Kate xx

      Delete