Sunday, 11 May 2014

When I grow up...


When I was at primary school I really wanted to be a wedding planner. I loved baking cakes and I guessed that all there was to planning a wedding was turning somewhere with an amazing cake that everyone wanted to eat. Everyone has got to be happy with that! I also loved planning parties. I remember organising a surprise party for one of my friends when I was still at primary school. I suppose another big bonus of this job for the young me was all the pretty dresses involved in weddings. Although when I was little I was quite tomboyish, the sight of a pretty dress still made me happy. I suppose I had no clue about weddings. I've still only been to a couple in my life. But for little me there seemed to be this magic around them and I want to be there to plan them for people.

The next job I wanted to do was be an actress. I loved being on the stage, but thank god there isn't any video evidence because I'm sure I was the most wooden actress ever seen. My starring role was Babushka, an old lady, in a school play. However these dreams were well and truly shattered when I was cast as villager 6 one year! Bearing in mind there was about 50 pupils in my school at the time, I can tell you that Village 6 did not come anywhere near the list of main characters. I was distraught. I actually went home and cried. Actually come to think of it, I might have cried then and there when I was told. How embarrassing and drama-queenesque!

Then I wanted to be the Prime Minster. At this point I literally had no idea about politics (and to be honest I don't know that much more know). I was on the school council and was voted chairperson. I thought this pretty much qualified me to run the country. I mean I could run off some posters for a cake sale and single-handedly organise a fair. I was quite organised bossy and loved to be in control. Some there we are. Aren't you glad I never went for PM? I mean there's still a chance!

All my life I've been interested in charity work and one of the other jobs I've wanted to do was work for a charity. I wanted to know I was making a difference. Around this time I organised quite a few charity events. A murder mystery, some cake sales and a fair. Nothing spectacular, but I did enjoy the organising. I suppose in reality I don't like paperwork and I don't see too many jobs in charities that don't involve just a smigen of admin.

Towards the end of high school I really wanted to be an Au Pair. This wasn't going to be a long term career but more a way of having a gap year and travelling and doing something I enjoy which is working with children. The idea of culture and maybe learning a new language excited me. I liked the idea of helping children with everyday tasks and educating them a little on the world. Then I realised I'm way too much of a homebody. I like knowing where I'm going and the though of staying with a family I'd never met in a country I'd never been to for a year was pretty scary.

This is just a sample of the many jobs I've wanted to do over the years. So I suppose what I'm saying is although some people have a definite goal in life, mine is more meandering. Currently I'd really like to become a teacher. I enjoy my work coaching children immensely and would like to take it further to teaching. However I know that I am young. It wasn't so many years ago that I wanted to be Prime Minister. Things change and so do people but my main goal in life are to be happy doing whatever it is I end up doing.

What funny, crazy jobs did you want to do when you were younger? Or did you become what your younger self wanted you to?

Kate xx


2 comments:

  1. This was such a cute post! I remember when I was younger always changing what I wanted to do. I remember my biggest and longest choice was that I wanted to be a lawyer.. But it was because I wanted to "make all the bad guys go away."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you made up your mind now? aww that's such a child thing to think isn't it? Although my list is pretty extensive I can't recall lawyer ever being on there.
      Kate xx

      Delete