Monday, 2 November 2015

Edinburgh Adventures: Part 2


Day 3 consisted of a visit to Edinburgh castle. There was lots to see from regimental museums to the great hall. As we went in it suggested it would take about 2 hours to see everything but we must have been there for nearly 6 hours! We managed to choose the best day for weather for our visit and the sun stayed out all day and we even got some great sunset shots as we left.

Some highlights of the castle were seeing the crown jewels of Scotland. There was a huge queue for these in the middle of the day, but when we got to them later in the day we walked straight in and were given plenty of time in the room to look at the impressive crown, sword and sceptre. There were views across the city. We looked across to Carlton Hill where we had been the day before. Before watches and clocks were common the citizens of Edinburgh used these two landmarks to tell the time. At 1pm a white ball fell on Carlton Hill and a gun was fired at the Castle. Whilst the ball no longer exists we were there at 1pm when the gun went off.


For lunch we just chose to eat cake because we were on holiday and you're allowed to! I can vouch for the yumminess of both the carrot cake and chocolate truffle muffin. As we left the sun began to set and by the time we had walked to Princes Street Gardens and looked back to the castle it was dark.



How stunning is Edinburgh? I loved my break here. Have you been? Please share your adventures.

Kate xx

2 comments:

  1. I'm obsessed with Edinburgh, it's one of my favourite cities and I'm so lucky it's only an hour away from me by train ... I really should go more!

    Chloe X
    newgirlintoon.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you! We passed Newcastle on the train and I thought of you. I loved the city and look forward to going again.
      x

      Delete