Wednesday, 4 November 2015

Edinburgh Adventures Part 3


On our last full day in Edinburgh we went to Holyrood Palace which is the Queen's official residence in Scotland. Included in admission price was an audio guide tour. This took us through the ornately decorated rooms of the palace. I found it helpful to have information on each room and there were even options to find out more. However it did feel a little like a zombie tour where every moved in silence not communicating with anyone else. It made it difficult to share the visit with others you were with.

Once we had been led through the palace with our audio guide it was time to explore the surrounding gardens and ruined Holyrood Abbey. The Abbey, as with the rest of the house was steeped in history and we took a moment to quietly contemplate the past here. Walking round reading the names on memorial stones always makes me think of the stories behind the names (see this post as I've been thinking a lot about this subject). Autumn has really set in now and the gardens were subtly colourful. Summer brings in your face colour whereas autumnal colour wows in a less obvious but just as stunning way and with Arthur's Seat as a backdrop it was a lovely way to finish our holiday.




I had a fabulous break in Edinburgh and break is the best term for it. I have been feeling run down and exhausted the last couple of weeks and a break was necessary. I always feel calmer and more myself away from the daily stresses of life and being able to do what I want in my own time.

Tell me about your last holiday...

2 comments:

  1. Edinburgh is one of my favourite cities! Love your pictures and I'm glad you had a good time <3

    Gisforgingers xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire. It's definitely somewhere I want to go back to, there was just so much to see and do. xx

      Delete