Wednesday, 23 March 2016

Wonderful Wednesday #9

This week has been a funny one. I've made a decision on which university I would like to go to which is a relief and means I can fully visualise the next steps of my life. With that comes all the logistical stuff that needs sorting plus tests that need sitting. I've booked them this week and hopefully soon I'll have passed all conditions needed. Paperwork and practicality seem to have been coming out of my ears this week as the cricket season rushes ever closer. But I remain grateful for my happiness, because a few short months ago I didn't think I'd be in this position. I have to thank Sally because these Wonderful Wednesday posts really pep me up and make me hunt for the happy moments even when life isn't so sunny.

Before I blather any more we must move swiftly on to the things that have made this week pretty darn marvellous.


1. Listening to the cricket commentary. I am a little bit excited that it's world cup time and I can spend my days listening to commentary. I have been curled up in bed waking up to the opening overs. I've stuck it on whilst I've cooked my tea. I've been on tenterhooks whilst Anya Shrubsole just got us over the line. Everyone else gets (football) world cup fever, but mine is definitely of the cricket variety. I actually had to turn it off in order to write this because I was getting too wrapped up and couldn't get any words down.

2. Friends that support. Isn't it the most wonderful thing to have a group of friends where they ask you how you are and actually mean it? Where you don't have to make small talk and say 'I'm fine' or 'good thanks'. If you are happy they are there to celebrate you and join you in that and you feel brave enough to tell them exactly what is going on when life isn't so rosy.

3. Wanting to dance. Now I love a dance round the kitchen as much as the next person. Turning up the music really loud, flailing my body around and singing at the top of my voice. However I used to be a little more cultured than this. I used to dance contemporary dance every week and I was in shows. Last night I watched a show that my old dance teacher choreographed and I fell back in love with it. I want to experiment with the shapes my body can make. I'd like to be creative with linking movements and describing stories and feelings through my movements. Watch this space, I will dance again.

4. I am creating. It's been a long time since I've worked in my sketchbook, but this week the paints, pens, pencils and everything have been out. I have been looking at different colours, watercolouring different tones and doodling tattoo ideas.

5. Pockets of sunshine. Well now I have that very catchy Natalie Bedingfield song in my head! You WILL know it, if you've ever watched Easy A. Anyway, I am loving the blue skies and sunshine we've had recently. I always have a more positive attitude when the sun's out. We had the first day of spring on Saturday and I'm now starting to believe it.

6. Listing. Making a list always seems to make me feel more in control with whatever I''m doing. This week I've started a list of all the things I'd like to do before I leave home for university. I have this summer at home and I'm looking forward to living it and enjoying the area I am in. I think we are guilty of ignoring how great where we live is, so lots of exploring is going to happen. Also I definitely want to get my tattoo this summer. I've been doodling lots of ideas, all around the idea of a little geometric crown. I also wan t to go swimming. I haven't been swimming for over 9 years which is ridiculous. I haven't felt comfortable in a swimming cossie, but this is the summer. Plus when I go to uni I will need to be able to learn to teach swimming so I need to feel comfortable.

And now it's over to you. Wednesdays are made even more wonderful by reading posts by SallyMichelleJo and Helen. I enjoy hearing about what has made them happy this week. Therefore you can either join in by commenting, letting me know on twitter ( I'm @appreciate_day on there) or even writing your own post and becoming a fully signed up member of the Wonderful Wednesday crew.

Kate xx

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely week you had had. Congrats on choosing your university! I work at the University of Cumbria, we would love to have you here! hehe. List making is something I do every day, it always sorts my stressy head out. A list of things to do in the summer sounds perfect, that's one I should get writing too. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much as I'd love to come up north and see you, I'm going in completely the opposite direction! What do you do at the University of Cumbria?
      Lists are so important. Share your summer list when you've done it. I'm sure mine will go up on the blog at some point.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Sending you all kinds of testy luck and congratulations AGAIN on your uni success!
    There's something fantastic about having the time and space to be creative, to use a different part of our brains that maybe we can't all day every day so yay for that. I'm afraid my limit is a kitchen dance party, I have not an ounce of coordination in my body so I'm ever jealous of those who can create beautiful shapes with theirs.

    Have a fantastic rest of the week lovely Kate
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much lovely!
      A kitchen dance is still a very beautiful thing. I find dance is so creative too so looking forward to getting back into it.
      And the same to you
      xx

      Delete
  3. Kate this is such a super smashing list! I too love a list {don't tell anyone but i rarely remember anything unless its written down - usually on my phone now since i went through a phase of losing thie lists...aherm.}. Go you for picking uni, i can't wait for you to get out there and do it - uni was the best thing i ever did it really was. It taught me such alot about myself.

    I went years without swimming also {truth be told i couldn't actually swim until a couple of years ago after having a horrible swimming teacher all through school and hating being in the water.} I got so chuffed that i taught myself to swim and now i really want to try out wild water swimming - pray for Cumbria to get some warm weather this summer!

    Also you danced?! That's brilliant. I wish i was more co-ordinated. Except sometimes {only when i've the house to myself} i rather enjoying flailing about to the music and just going with it.

    Sending you all of the luck with it all and looking forward to following along too.

    Have a fab Easter darling girl xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First up, your comment is the absolute best. Thank you for taking the time to write this essay!
      I have lost lists too, or get halfway through them and then don't finish them. I used a programme for a while that emailed you your list every morning, but it took too much updating.
      I'm not entirely sure I can swin anymore and I wasn't great first time round. Well done! That's brilliant to teach yourself. Let's hope you get some good weather then.
      I'm forever getting told off for dncing around the house. It's quite freeing somehow to just let yourself go with the music.

      Hope you are having a lovely long weekend - that is if you retail people get any time off xx

      Delete
  4. Totally know what you mean by Really Great Friends. The ones who look right in your eyes, ask questions and listen without interrupting. I've got a great friend like that and every time I speak to him it reminds me that I can be quite a bad listener - it makes me want to listen more fully, more properly to my friends. Have a lovely week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they the best? Those friends that will unconditionally listen without judgement. I think it's something we could all improve on.
      Hope your having a lovely long weekend xx

      Delete
  5. This is such a lovely post. Congratulations on deciding which uni you're going to, it definitely makes such a difference when you have an end goal to visualise. Having friends that you're 100% comfortable around is fab as you can just be yourself!

    Megan | Lazy Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan. I'm so looking forward to September now! xx

      Delete
  6. Heaps of congratulations on choosing which uni you'd like to go to - that's such an important step! From the sound of things you're going to do so well - getting into list-writing early is so crucial...I can't get anything done without my lists!

    I'm planning to join your little Wonderful Wednesday group - wandered over here from Michelle's page and her weekly posts really brighten my day! Looking forward to focusing on the good things each week :)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat, I'm so happy to see your face and the thought of you joining our merry band. Definitely check out Sally's blog http://sallytangle.blogspot.co.uk/ she is the queen of wonderful Wednesday. I'm so excited for September and I'm sure to keep up the list making.
      xx

      Delete