Wednesday, 20 April 2016
Wonderful Wednesday #13
My goodness I feel like I haven't stopped for the past week. It's been a blur of busy. I'm running on not much sleep which never makes for a happy Kate. However, everything has been so enjoyable that the lack of sleep can be forgiven. It does mean that I crash straight into bed when I get through the door. I'm just exhausted come the end of the day. Do you get these weeks? And is there anything I can do to pep myself up?
Without further ado I need to tell you all the happy things I've crammed into this week:
1. Being Brave. This week I had to drive to Birmingham and back, by myself, in a day. Birmingham roads were crazy busy and had so many lanes. For someone who doesn't own a sat nav and works off a few scribbled notes from google maps, I was really worried about the trip. Once I got there I was taking part in a national conference for cricket coaches. I didn't know anyone there, but I had so much fun. Learning about the newest ideas in coaching and meeting fascinating new people. The pain, the exhaustion and the nerves were all worth it for a great day. A year ago I would never have driven across the country solo, but I'm so glad I was brave.
2. Surrounded by fabulous ladies. I suppose this goes on from the last point. This conference was just for female coaches. Never have I been in a room with that many female coaches. We work in a male dominated field and won't meet each other regularly. Being in a room with 80 of us was fab. Everyone was supportive, shared ideas and chatted. There was inspirational speakers and lots of things to get involved with. Plus within that environment I felt less intimidated to say my thoughts than I possibly would have had it been a mixed conference.
3. Blossom. Wonderful Wednesday wouldn't be the same without a reference to the changing seasons and this week it's been all about the blossom. It's starting to be absolutely everywhere in such a range of whites through to deep blush pinks. Clouds of colour fill the trees and when the sun shines and the sky's blue, I am absolutely positive Spring is here!
4. Pesto Pasta. This week my friend cooked dinner for a group of us. She made pasta with a pesto and roast vegetable sauce and crumbled in feta cheese and it was utterly gorgeous. The proof was in the fact we all had seconds. An evening catching up with friends and watching First Dates and Creme de la Creme makes me very happy. Especially as we sat eating chocolate eclairs and ice cream in front of the TV. Sometimes there's no need to do big extravagant things with friends. Sitting in their company, talking about weird and wonderful topics and eating good food is enough.
4. Light of the full moon. Last night I got back from a very long and very enjoyable day. My eyes were drooping, and as I hauled all my stuff out of the car I looked up to the full moon. In my tired state the fact that I didn't need to try to work my phone torch in order to find my way to the door was a small happy/ relieved moment.
5. Hugs. Some stuff is rubbish. Sometimes you go through bad stuff. Sometimes the only thing you can give someone is a hug. It won't mend big things, but for those couple of seconds you can show someone that you care. That you're right there with them and you're not going anywhere. Make sure you hug the people you love.
6. Being outside again. I'd forgotten how much I miss being outside. The weather is changeable (Monday freezing, yesterday I got sunburnt) but I'm outside and free and moving. I've been cooped up inside for the past few months so the feeling of coaching outside is a bit freeing. I have views as I coach - yesterday looking over the harbour. When I'm inside I always find it stuffy and uninspiring. Buildings always seem to be kept and much too higher temperatures and I run round opening every window in sight and huffing and puffing as I move my heavy kit bags. I guess what I'm saying is, minus the sunburn, I am loving my job.
Now it's your turn. What has made your week extra special? It can be as big or as little as you like as long as it made you smile. Get involved by leaving a comment, letting me know on twitter using #wonderfulwednesday or even writing your own post. Leave your link if you do. You absolutely have to go and read the other Wonderful Wednesday gang's posts: Sally, Michelle, Jo, Emma, Helen, Cat and Katie 's blogs are fabulous. They make my day every week!