Wednesday, 27 April 2016

Wonderful Wednesday #14

Because not a week can go by without my being in awe of the sunset
Just when I thought we'd finally got to Spring. We'd had all the beautiful flowers, sunburn and green shoots. Then the weather decides to turn baltic again. I'm talking snow, hail and everything in between. It's been a week where I've worn my shorts under my trackies just for heat retention. But despite the grey skies and the freeing temperatures, I'm feeling pretty good. I'm not talking sparkly, rainbows. I'm talking - I can do this thing we call life. And that's enough for now.

1. First game of the season. Sunday was my first outdoor game of cricket this year and true to form we had hail so hard that it stung. However after a couple of breaks we managed to get a game in. It was also my first as captain, but I was very proud of all the players. We came up 7 runs short, but my star player was a 12 year old on debut. Very proud of her bowling. It's great getting back into playing and having a squad of lovely ladies around me.

2. Singing. I coached with one of my best friends this week. We talk about music a lot and we're always exchanging song recommendations. Often the song choices reflect our mood. So on Saturday when we were both singing as we coached I knew it was a good day for us both. I was singing S Club 7 (obviously) whilst he was banging out the classics. We then 'harmonised' on a rendition of Purple Rain. The players thought we were bonkers. Maybe we are, but we were happy, they were happy.

3. Reading. My job currently leaves me pockets of time between sessions. I have been utilising these recently to read a few pages. I'm reading books that will further me and that I'm really interested in. Sometimes I need a book I can just escape into and I choose and an easy fiction, but at the minute I'm enjoying learning. Being challenged and made to think by a book is making me wish those pockets of time were a little longer.

4. Getting warm again. I've already spoken about how blooming cold it's been, but that does mean that when you get warm it feels even better. Yesterday I spent the whole day outside and by the time I got in at 8pm I couldn't feel my hands anymore. Cue a massive mug of hot chocolate, a bacon sandwich and curling up in my PJs. Problem solved.


5.Last Friday I had completed my first full week of my new job and I decided that was worth celebrating. I treated myself to my favourite toastie (brie, bacon and redcurrant jelly for those who I haven't already extolled the virtues at yet) in the best tea room ever. Wortham Tea Shop is just off the village green and the staff are great. I paired it with an apple juice. When I say apple juice, I mean the cloudy, sharp, real good stuff. Then the trays of cakes were looking lonely so I had a chocolate brownie. I got my book out again and ended up having a conversation about cricket with some of the other diners as they'd clocked my book.

6. My Mad Fat Diary. I don't mind telling you that this week I have watched every single episode of the show. I think it blimming brilliant. There's no other show that I can think of that portrays mental health as such a predominant aspect, but treats each character as a person beyond that. The quote that struck me the most was 'Everyone is the protagonist in their own story'. Everybody has got a story to tell, everyone has issues they struggle with, but it was Rae's friends and support system that allowed her to be independent.

That's all for this week folks. I hope you week has treated you well and please do share what has been making you smile. Either comment below, share on twitter with #wonderfulwednesday and mosing over to see the rest of the gang's posts: SallyMichelleJoEmmaHelenCat and Katie. They never fail to make me smile.

Kate xx

16 comments:

  1. I need a moment alone with the toastie picture please and thank you - that looks DIVINE.

    This sounds like a great old week, hailstorms aside (really, what is going on with the weather - it feels like the end of the world might be nigh!) Well done on your first week in the job, it feels so nice to reach that little milestone and feel confident that you've made good decisions and you're doing the right thing. Hurrah for that. And extra points for fitting in some reading in your down time, I always hope to do that but my brain has other ideas.

    Enjoy the rest of your week lovely one, I hope that the weather sorts itself out soon, it's weird for me - even weirder if you have to work outside in it!!
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell you what, that's the toastie of dream right there!
      If the end is nigh, could we just have some niceish weather for the last few days. Is it too much to ask?
      I find it good to switch off if I read. Otherwise my thoughts are too crazy busy and I just stress.

      Have a lovely end to your week. Let's hope the sun comes out! xx

      Delete
  2. GAAAAH KATE!!!! I LOVED this week's post! I love that you sing - i adore singing and i always seem to do it when i'm feeling a bit under the weather or a bit down and it works wonders! I bet you two are a winning combination - and Purple Rain?!? Well need i say more?!?

    I also loved that you were extoling the greatness of being warm {something i harped on about - favourite jumper wearing etc} in this weeks post - whilst it IS unseasonal, you gotta take those little bits of greatness when you get them.

    Brie, bacon and redcurrant is one of my all-time favourite toasty fillings mmmm i'm hungry just thinking about it! Last week we had some left over pineapple salsa and i snuck it inside a cheese and ham toasty and OH MY. It was glorious!

    Also love your sunsets, always!

    In fact i just love it ALL!!! Have the very best rest of week darling girl - keeping everything crossed that the rain, wind and snow passes. We've got thunder and lightening forecast for Friday......

    Lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, I am so happy that you enjoyed it. I can't get over how happy everyone's posts make me. So much good stuff even when one of us is having a rough week. It's all about those little things that help us through and if that's being a little bit warm then all well and good. Let's look on the brightside.

      I love to sing so much. It make me real so much happier. In the car the radio is always up high so that I can sing along - best in the summer with windows down.

      Hello, to pineapple salsa. That sounds like a mega pizza topping in a sandwich. Never a bad thing. Don't tell me thunder and lightening for tomorrow - let's just pretend the sun will come out!

      Hope your time off is going marvellously well, have a chocolate brownie for me! xx

      Delete
  3. I adore Mad Fat Diary! I see it's now on Hulu, and I've only seen like half of it - maybe I need to re-watch to get it all in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Do, it's absolutely wonderful. Don't know why I didn't watch it when it first came out. xx

      Delete
  4. Lovely list of lovely things - I could have done with that cheese toastie this afternoon instead of my healthy-but-not-so-filling egg salad! (don't worry - I augmented it with a huge slab of Chocolate Nancy). I also love non-fiction books - and they're all I used to read. Now I go through phases - but I agree it's nice to learn something sometimes! h

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about balance isn't it? What is Chocolate Nancy, because I think I may need to try it?
      I'm really enjoying this book, but I'm sure I'll be back to fiction
      xx

      Delete
  5. I'm glad the first week of your job has gone well, that's always a big relief when it goes smoothly and I hope the following weeks go just as well! I love My Mad Fat Diary, it's such a sweet, funny and brilliant series - I always cry watching it too! I love the sunshine shot too. - Tasha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha, I'm really enjoying it! Have you got any other TV recommendations? I'm getting withdrawl symptoms now I've finished Mad Fat Diary.
      xx

      Delete
  6. Your new job sounds super! Playing cricket lots, (even in hail! ugh) but lots of time to read and eat toasties too, fab. I adored my My Fat Diary, it really really took me back to my teenage years, especially as I actually was a teenager in the 90s with all that amazing music and all that angst... hehe. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the 90s music, but sadly only born in the 90s! The show is great. I'm loving my job thank you x

      Delete
  7. oooh that is the absolute best choice of toastie and my favourite too :) High fives for all the Brie and cranberry fans!

    Getting time to read is always a good thing for me, so I celebrate that. Glad the first week of work has been good it's nice that some people get the chance to do jobs that they genuinely enjoy.

    Hahaha to the singing, I love a good singsong as cheesey a song as possible so I would definitely have joined in with the s club.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High five right back at you! It's the best filling ever.

      Aww hope you are enjoying your job too. What do you do?

      There ain'y no party like a S club party! x

      Delete
  8. Ahhh I loved My Mad Fat Diary, such a great show!

    Sounds like you had a really wonderful week - I loved reading your post (as ever!) In fact, as annoyed as I was not to get around to catching up on everyone's posts until the weekend, it does make the Wonderful Wednesday feeling last a little longer!

    Let us know what you've been reading and if you have any particularly good recommendations? C xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you get to savour Wonderful Wednesday for that little bit longer. I love reading everyone's posts, they're great and really make me smile.

      Currently reading The Art of Captaincy by Mike Brearley and Bounce by Matthew Syed. Both sports coaching books, but very interesting!
      xx

      Delete