Wednesday, 11 May 2016

Wonderful Wednesday #16



This week I came to the realisation that I am happy. I am content with my life right now and where I'm heading. This seems to me like a massive realisation. It crept up on me and smacked me in the face and has left me smiling most of the week. To be honest after the winter I had which was all a bit rubbish, this spring feels like a lot of new beginnings. New beginnings and getting my head back in the game.

I know I'm happy because I can be alone. That sounds strange, but I can just sit and feel contented. My thoughts don't suddenly stress over a little detail whenever I sit quietly. I am able to fully concentrate on little details of my everyday life without getting distracted by big existential questions. And WOW, the world is wonderful if you take the time to notice those little good bits.

Without further gushiness let's get on with those wonderful bits of the week:

1. Sleep. I know I'm feeling well when I sleep as soon as the head hits the pillow. When I've had a tiring but great day because my eye lids start drooping early and I pack in a good lot of sleep ready to wake early the next day for more. I don't have that whizzing turmoil of thoughts just complete blankness and contentness. This week has been made even better by a window open as I all asleep listening to the rain. If I don't sleep enough I am grouchy so getting at least 8 hours is so important to me.

2. Monday morning off. I spent my morning off in bed. I read some blogs, I had the window open and I ate nutella and banana on toast. The air was warm and just a smidgen of breeze came through the window. I watched out to see a great tit going about its business. Flying its way from floor to the roof stopping to pick at the cherry blossom petals that are creating a pinkish carpet. A simple, lovely moment.

3. Fruit. As the weather turns warmer I want to snack and not eat heavy meals. This can easily mean grazing on lots of crisps and chocolate. However I have been packing myself up a range of fruits. A pot of strawberries, a banana and raspberries with yoghurt. When the weather is good I seem drawn to fruit and lighter things to eat.

4. Evenings outside. Sitting on a rug as the air cools, chatting about anything and everything with new people. Eating ice cream as soon as you get home to cool down. Having time to train outside in the evenings. Time for dog walks to explore new places. Evening drives with the windows down and singing my heart out.

5. Spending time with my Mum. I still live at home so I see my mum every single day, but sometimes it's nice to be able to actually spend time together. On Saturday night we took ourselves out for a meal and had time to chat. We went to a pub a few villages away and I had the most ginormous plate of goodness. Southern fried chicken, topped with pulled pork, bacon and cheese. Served with onion rings and sweet potato fries. Even after that mountain of food we of course still had room for a chocolate and caramel fudge cake with salted caramel ice cream - even if we did have to have a little break! I also bumped into an old collegue from one of the schools I used to work in. It was lovely to catch up and keep in contact with her.

6. Sunshine!!! I can't believe I left this one until last, because it's making me feel all sorts of happy. My freckles have come out in spades and skin is turning a golden colour. Doesn't everything feel that much better when the sun is out? This week the weather has been gorgeous and having a job outside has been the best thing. I've been sporting my shorts and even bothered to shave my legs (the feel so smooth - I need to get out more).

What has made your week that little bit special? I hope you are feeling happy and contented this week. Let me know in the comments or on twitter (appreciate_day) with #WonderfulWednesday. For more Wonderful Wednesday goodness do go and read the rest of the gang's posts:SallyMichelleJoEmmaHelenCat and Katie. They are sure to put a smile on your face.

Kate xx

4 comments:

  1. This is such a bloody great and good list of lovely Kate!! It makes me feel so happy to know that you are happy and it's weird, i too measure my 'happy' by simply knowing and i can just 'be' - to just exist without turmoil, worry, stress or a sudden urge to do anything other than that. Contended-ness is nothing but good for the soul - once you've found that place, everything else somehow just falls into place i find.

    Reading this list made me feel so happy! YES to every damned point! And making time to actually 'spend' with someone you see all of the time is a great thing. It's so easy to just go through the every day, to make knowing that person is there just a habit and never really spending quality time just the both of you.

    PS that food sounded all kinds of amazing! Have the best week lady!xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful list of happiness, Kate! Sleep and sunshine and time with loved ones - a perfect combination. I'm really glad to hear that you're feeling really happy with where you are and what you're doing, long may it last! :)

    Hope the rest of your week is just as fantastic! Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great realisation to have! The sunshine and brighter evenings have made me feel so much more cheerful, I hadn't realised that the cold and damp was affecting my mood until the weather changed and I felt better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much happy!! Love this.

    More evenings in the sunshine and quality time with the really important people please and thank you.

    Hope you've had as good a week this week!? Slightly less sunshine maybe?
    M x

    ReplyDelete