Wednesday, 15 June 2016
Wonderful Wednesday #20
This week has been a little unspecial. Nothing has really made me whoop with delight. I feel a little like I'm just treading water until the next big thing. I think it's because I've just not been busy. Even though the cricket season is in full swing we've been really quiet this week. Add on to that the rain showers that have soaked everything, we've been cancelling things left, right and centre. I guess what I'm trying to say is I've had way too much time to stew this week. My mission for next week is to fill those pockets or gulfs of time with something I really love rather than wasting them away and feeling down about it.
Anyway, let's move onto more cheery things. Here are the things that have punched through the monotonous grey for me this week:
1. Nectarines. Eaten quickly, straight from the punnet, whilst leaning over the sink so that the juices don't run down your front. Eaten chopped up in yoghurt with every other fruit around for breakfast. Eaten as a refreshing snack when I get in from work. Eaten last thing at night when you just need something to tide you over after tea and you catch the scent of them as you enter the kitchen and know nothing else will do.
2. The colour white. I can now hear the voice of my year eight art teacher telling me that white isn't a colour it's a tone. Whatever it is, it seems to be taking over every crevice that is not overcome with green. From fluffy clouds of sheep's parsley to the faces of crowds of daisies. The trees are getting in on the act with elderflower blooming. Maybe this is the year I should make some elderflower cordial. I get through enough of it in the summer!
3. Surprising people. It was one of my best friend's birthdays this weekend and we were coaching together. I got to the venue mega early and decorated everywhere with banners and bunting. I greeted him with milkshakes and got a big card for everyone to sign. Of course there was the obligatory group singsong where someone (probably me) was very off key and of course there was plenty of cake! It made me happy to see that a little bit of preparation gave so much happiness.
4. Being proud of who we are. The attack in Orlando shock me way more than I thought it would this week. It made me scared to be me. But the overwhelming support of vigils around the country filled me with hope. Although I wasn't able to get to one the amount of people that did surprised and heartened me. The support for the LGBT+ community is huge. We will be proud, we will have the confidence to be us.
5. Cinema. It's been so long since I went to the cinema and I always forget why I don't go more often. Getting immersed in a story is something a little bit magical, but it does take a good film to grab me. Otherwise halfway through I find myself thinking about what I might fancy for tea tomorrow and miss the bit where the major clue that holds the whole plot together is revealed. However Saturday night I laughed, I cried and was completely immersed in the story. So much so that I hadn't even eaten my chocolate at the end of the film.
6. Car rides with those you love. I think car rides are the perfect time to catch up. My friends and I always end up singing along to some great tunes and giggling. There are no distractions in the car so you can truly give you time to each other.
That all for another week. This week more than ever I implore you to tell the ones you love how much the mean to you. Make sure they feel loved. Be true to yourself. Be brave and my emails are always open for those that need it.
For more doses of happiness please read my lovely fellow Wonderful Wednesdayers: Sally, Michelle, Jo, Emma, Helen, Cat and Katie. Share what has been making your week special in the comments or on twitter with #wonderfulwednesday.