Wednesday, 15 June 2016

Wonderful Wednesday #20


This week has been a little unspecial. Nothing has really made me whoop with delight. I feel a little like I'm just treading water until the next big thing. I think it's because I've just not been busy. Even though the cricket season is in full swing we've been really quiet this week. Add on to that the rain showers that have soaked everything, we've been cancelling things left, right and centre. I guess what I'm trying to say is I've had way too much time to stew this week. My mission for next week is to fill those pockets or gulfs of time with something I really love rather than wasting them away and feeling down about it.

Anyway, let's move onto more cheery things. Here are the things that have punched through the monotonous grey for me this week:

1. Nectarines. Eaten quickly, straight from the punnet, whilst leaning over the sink so that the juices don't run down your front. Eaten chopped up in yoghurt with every other fruit around for breakfast. Eaten as a refreshing snack when I get in from work. Eaten last thing at night when you just need something to tide you over after tea and you catch the scent of them as you enter the kitchen and know nothing else will do.

2. The colour white. I can now hear the voice of my year eight art teacher telling me that white isn't a colour it's a tone. Whatever it is, it seems to be taking over every crevice that is not overcome with green. From fluffy clouds of sheep's parsley to the faces of crowds of daisies. The trees are getting in on the act with elderflower blooming. Maybe this is the year I should make some elderflower cordial. I get through enough of it in the summer!

3. Surprising people. It was one of my best friend's birthdays this weekend and we were coaching together. I got to the venue mega early and decorated everywhere with banners and bunting. I greeted him with milkshakes and got a big card for everyone to sign. Of course there was the obligatory group singsong where someone (probably me) was very off key and of course there was plenty of cake! It made me happy to see that a little bit of preparation gave so much happiness.

4. Being proud of who we are. The attack in Orlando shock me way more than I thought it would this week. It made me scared to be me. But the overwhelming support of vigils around the country filled me with hope. Although I wasn't able to get to one the amount of people that did surprised and heartened me. The support for the LGBT+ community is huge. We will be proud, we will have the confidence to be us.

5. Cinema. It's been so long since I went to the cinema and I always forget why I don't go more often. Getting immersed in a story is something a little bit magical, but it does take a good film to grab me. Otherwise halfway through I find myself thinking about what I might fancy for tea tomorrow and miss the bit where the major clue that holds the whole plot together is revealed. However Saturday night I laughed, I cried and was completely immersed in the story. So much so that I hadn't even eaten my chocolate at the end of the film.

6. Car rides with those you love. I think car rides are the perfect time to catch up. My friends and I always end up singing along to some great tunes and giggling. There are no distractions in the car so you can truly give you time to each other.

That all for another week. This week more than ever I implore you to tell the ones you love how much the mean to you. Make sure they feel loved. Be true to yourself. Be brave and my emails are always open for those that need it.

For more doses of happiness please read my lovely fellow Wonderful Wednesdayers: SallyMichelleJoEmmaHelenCat and Katie. Share what has been making your week special in the comments or on twitter with #wonderfulwednesday.

Kate xx

10 comments:

  1. Aww the birthday do you did for your friend was ace :) That would definitely make me smile if someone did this for me!

    The point about being proud to be you is so true, I don't think anyone should hide any aspect of who you are. I am a big LGBT supporter with both friends and my cousin who are gay and personally I cannot understand why anyone would treat them any differently than they would me as a straight woman, or why they should feel they have to be someone or something else. I am taking up rugby with a local club next month, to say I am literally terrified would not be an understatement and one thing I have heard from people is wow it's full of lesbians you know?! I really want to go OMG is it? I better not go then in case they infect me! How absolutely ridiculous that something like that is even an issue! Be proud of who you are, and every part of what makes you you. :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the rugby! One of my best friends plays and she loves it. Thank you so much for your words of support!
      xx

      Delete
  2. I've felt similar to you this week Kate - I've had a horrible cold and have spent much of the week just lounging. With the attacks in Orlando and the news in general I've found it's been a very low week for everyone too - it seems to have been felt by a lot of people, and I hope you're doing OK as well. Have to say, nectarines that have just been in the fridge cooling on a hot summer's day are one of my favorite things. - Tasha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a really funny week. It's had me all on edge. Thank you for the support. I need to remember to put my nectarines in the fridge. That's genius!
      x

      Delete
  3. I know exactly what you mean...this week has really shaken me and I feel like our country is teetering on the precipice of something awful. Now more than ever it's good to surround yourself with people you love and make you happy...and look for the little happy moments where you can.
    What a lovely gesture to throw such a lovely surprise birthday party - I'm sure you made his day. Giving really is better than receiving at moments like that, isn't it?! Have a wonderful weekend, lovely one xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're still teetering Cat. Let's just keep showing as much love as possible and hopefully it will fix some of the cracks.
      More birthdays next week so time to dream up some more surprises!
      xx

      Delete
  4. The attack in Orlando was horrifying, but that guy was only one person, how many others are supporting the LGBT community? I had no idea there were vigils in Manchester (UK) or I would have attended, with my husband, to show our support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The support shown in the week after was so powerful and with Pride in the last few weeks I can certainly feel the love. However when things like that happen it does shock you. That's fab that you're showing your support.

      Delete
  5. I also noticed the vigils after Orlando and it did make my heart glow to see so many supporters and allies. We have Pride here next week and I can't wait!

    Jenna
    xxx
    | princessparasox.wordpress.com | bloglovin' |

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a fabulous Pride! My local one isn't until the end of the month and I can't wait. xx

      Delete