Wednesday, 28 September 2016

Wonderful Wednesday #28


This fortnight has been overwhelming, amazing and such a change. For those of you that don't know on Friday 2 weeks ago I took the long trip south to Plymouth to start my university adventure. I left Suffolk not knowing anyone down here and within hours had become so close to by flatmates. I have now finished freshers week and have started lectures properly. I am just so eager to get started, I can't wait to be a proper primary school teacher.

1. Plymouth. I think I love this city. They call it the Ocean City and the fact that it takes me 5 minutes to walk to the sea makes me so happy. We had a faculty welcome party last week in a marquee on the Hoe. For those of you that haven't been to Plymouth this is a park overlooking the sea with a lighthouse in its centre. The sun was setting as we walked there and it was just beautiful. I have also explored a little - found a park, been to a seafood festival and walked a good 40 minutes to get to the cricket ground. The city feels so comfortable, it's a great halfway house for a country bumpkin to be in the city but not overwhelmed.

2. New friends. This week and last have been a buzz of meeting new people and getting to know them. It's so much fun to hear everyone's stories. The photo is of the first night I got here and my flatmates. Love them all! I also love that I'm meeting such a range of people that in my life back home I just would not have had any contact with.

3. Laughing. I don't think I've laughed as much I have in this week. Everything from sharing stories to having a competition to see who can wear the most amount of clothes at the same time (winner had 26 if you're interested) we made each other laugh.

4. Good luck cards. This is a soppy one, but at the weekend I finally worked out how I could get my post and found 3 cards waiting for me. They were all good luck cards. My Grandma had written me a long card all about how she was going to dig her allotment. Meanwhile friends sent me such motivating cards that I had a little tear escape. A good tear, one that knows I'm supported.

5. Starting lectures. In our first week we manly had introductions to everything, but the best day was PE day. I came back to the flat buzzing and my flatmates had to tell me to calm down. On only the second day of the course we had children come in to the uni and we planned and taught activities in groups. It was so much fun

6. Cooking. I am so proud of my cooking this week. I planned before I shopped and have cooked properly not just quick junk food. We're all eating really healthily in my flat which helps. Some of this week's menu includes cheesy pasta, cottage pie, spag bol, jacket potato, tomato pasta. Ok so I'm eating a lot of pasta, but that pasta is good!

7. Exercise. Once I had been here for a week I realised I had not exercised at all apart from a little bit of PE in lectures. I was starting to get achy and not flexible so woke up early one morning to get in half an hour of toning exercises and it felt so good. I felt able to move more freely and was ready for the day. Since, I've trained for cricket and done a zumba class. I've realised that for me it's so important to exercise. I'm really not interested in losing weight, but it makes me happier and helps my body move in it's best way.

So that's the week. I have so many more stories to tell, but only short windows of time in which to do it. Everything s happening so quickly and I've only been here for a week and a half, but it feels lke so much more. Today I have my first presentation so fingers crossed that goes well.

This Wonderful Wednesday gang (which I dip in and out of because I'm a little bit rubbish with keeping up with it) is the bran child of Sally who is fabulous. Please go and read everyone else's list, they are bound to put a smile on your face. The rest of the gang are here: JoHelenMichelleSarahCatSamEl and Kerri. Go and check them out, comment or find us on twitter with #wonderfulwednesday to share the good bits of your week.

Kate xx

10 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a wonderful week! Glad to hear that you are settling in well S x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful week! I was born in Plymouth, it's a gorgeous city isn't it. I'm so happy to hear you are settling in well, good luck with uni :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awh Kate I'm so proud of you for doing what you love! It's so great to see how well you've settled in Plymouth!

    Good luck with your presentation, I'm sure you'll smash it xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad that you're enjoying Uni! I love it up on Plymouth Hoe it's gorgeous. If they could do up the centre the city would be much prettier though!
    It sounds like you are having a great uni experience so far, here's to many more :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like your having a great time at uni so far and what a lovely week you've had! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of luck with your new adventure! And how lucky you are to be able to walk to the sea! Might be particularly great today with this big storm - have you got it where you are? H

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went to Plymouth, I think, two years ago and it was a lovely little town. The Hoe is defintely a lovely place for a walk and well, you can't go wrong with a lighthouse!

    I'm glad to hear you're settling in well and getting on with your flatmates. Uni feels like such a long time a go to me... I don't remember enjoying freshers week all that much, but I'm happy to hear you're having a great time.

    You can't go wrong with eating a lot of pasta! It makes up most of my meals. It's all about what you put on the pasta that makes or breaks the meal, the pasta is a perfect dinner option.

    Hope you have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Plymouth is so much fun! You should visit some more of Devon if you can. Its a beautiful county with lots of great scenery! xx

    http://www.one-more-slice.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so exciting about uni and that it's going so well! I love it down by the coast but I haven't been to Plymouth yet, I really want to!

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so excited for you! I so wish I could do uni and freshers week all over again. It is THE best time. Hope you continue to enjoy it! x

    ReplyDelete