Wednesday, 19 October 2016

Wonderful Wednesday #31


Truthfully as you find me writing this post I'm a little down in the dumps. Not disastrous unhappiness, but that melancholy mood where laughing seems a struggle. In these moods I'm best to take time for myself. So I am sat with my scrapbook ready eating frozen banana slices spread with nutella. The spoon may have dipped into the jar way after the banana was gone, but some days that is needed.

In general though life is pretty sweet, but tonight I need reminding so writing this list is perfect. Anyway enough of my ramblings and on with the wonderful:

1. Getting caught in the rain. On Saturday my flatmates and I decided to go on an adventure to the Royal William Yard in Plymouth. Having left under clear blue skies, spits of rain had already started on our 40 minute walk there. We ate our picnic of German sausages (I told you I was learning German culture - bonus points for anyone who can still remember how to say squirrel, see here if you are completely confused) under shelter and then explored. From being able to dock your boat in the pay and display harbour to art galleries to beautiful views, this lace had a quirky feel to it. That was until it started chucking it down and we had to walk home! Although I was absolutely soaked I laughed the whole way home. We found inspirational quotes in the pavement and laughed at each others attempts to run in the ran. Did I mention I didn't have a coat?

2. Hot chocolate and hot showers. This one follows on nicely from the above point. When we got home we quickly sorted a shower rota and had the warmest showers and put on fluffy socks and warm PJs. Having stopped at the shop on way home for marshmallows (we actually dripped on the floor) we made huge mugs of hot chocolate and ate cake. Perfect way to warm up.

3. Wearing a dress. On Saturday night we went out and for the first time in months I wore a dress. My flatmates also attacked me with make up that I don't usually wear. And I felt really good. Like, I looked hot. It's a big confidence boost and makes me want to find more dresses. Apparently I looked so different to my ID that the doorman refused to believe it was me!!

4. Making the cricket team. To be honest this was the big excitement of the week and I don't know how I held off until point 4 to talk about it. At the weekend we had trials for the cricket team. I got home really disappointed because I thought I had played really badly. Then I got the email and literally danced round the flat screaming. Then made vegetable couscous in celebration. We have several games in the next few weeks which involves a couple of trips to Southampton.

5. Phone calls with my Grandma. When I was back at home if I had an afternoon off I would pop round to my Grandma's house and chat and eat. I really miss this so I have been phoning her. She says the sweetest things and says she is just happy to hear my voice. Nothing more comforting than knowing you have someone you love at the other end of the phone.

6. Frozen banana. This week I had a whole stack of bananas that were just about ready to go. They were getting a bit bruised and brown. Instead of throwing them away at home  would make banana bread. However at uni |I just don't have the ingredients or cooking utensils (yet) to bake. So I decided to slice them and freeze. I've been taking a couple of slices out as a snack either on its own or spread with chocolate spread. So yummy. I hear you can also mash frozen banana up to make an ice cream consistency. That's next on my list to try.

So that's my list of wonderful this week. Head over to over to JoHelenMichelleSarahSallyCatSamEl Kerri's, Mimmi'sMartina's and Isabelle's blogs for even more good cheer and share your highlights on twitter with #wonderfulwednesday.

Kate xx

8 comments:

  1. I have never heard of slicing up bananas and freezing them, to snack on later. To be honest, I need something to break up just attacking the Nutella with a spoon so will have to give that a try although you're right, sometimes that's just what you need.

    I'm so sorry to hear you're feeling a little blue and I hope it passes quickly. It sounds like you have so many good things going on (heaps of congratulations on getting into the cricket team!) and your flatmates sound wonderful, but sometimes it can be hard to see the good. Keep on keeping on, missy! You're doing so well!

    Lots of love, C xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like the best kind of warm up - especially the marshmallows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on making the cricket team lovely!! I hope writing this post made you feel a little happier, make sure you take care of yourself and cut yourself a little slack when needed.
    Peta xx
    www.24hoursintoday.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the cricket team! I hope your melancholy mood has shifted now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on making the team. You sound really happy :) sorry to hear you're feeling a bit low at the moment, but we all get those days. Especially if you're away from home, must be pretty tough?
    Nutella is ALWAYS needed and frozen bananas are the best :)

    Love Hannah xx

    www.HannahHawes.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frozen bananas are the bomb. I always have some in my freezer. If you have a good blender, they do make pretty great ice cream. You just pop them in and blend them, no water needed and then you can add some flavours in too. Although, it's quite intense so if you're blender isn't up for the challenge, it might be a bit of a fail. They are also great for smoothies, if you want them a little colder too. I freeze almost all my fruit, it so much easier to eat it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Frozen bananas are so yummy and I love making them into ice cream too...it saves me from putting on several stone over Summer!
    I love chats with my Granny too, they're the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dear Kate, I hope you are feeling definitely better today and I wish you the loveliest of the Wednesdays!!! I totally agree with you about hot chocolate ( I've never tried it with marshmallows, can you believe it?!) and hot shower to warm up after a rainy day..they are a perfect combination!!!
    I left you the recipe of the lemon cake in the answer of your sweet comment on my blog if you want to have a look! ;)
    Kisses
    Martina
    http://sweetietulip88.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete