Monday, 30 January 2017

Kindness to Friends and Family


My new year word this year is kindness. I choose this because it can relate to so many aspects of my life. You can read my post about it here. Today I'd like to focus on how you can be kind to your friends and family. I am incredibly lucky to have several groups of friends: from teammates, to school friends, to flatmates and course mates. I know I will have someone there to support me and have fun. These friendships are incredibly important to me and showing kindness to these people is important. I also have a close family who are incredible. I've been thinking about how I can show my kindness to these lovely people n my life:


1. Always think about the kindness thing to say. We can be guilty of saying things that aren't the kindness in the name of banter. Having this occur to me I know that these words that are said in a jokey way can really hurt. I aim to monitor what I'm saying to always be kind.

2. Send small messages to friends to let them know I'm thinking of them. These could be emails, letters or even a post it note. Knowing someone is thinking of you is really special.

3. Give little presents. Even thought there's not a celebration a little present can really lift spirits. It doesn't have to be big or expensive, but the thought means so much. In fact a sentimental present that means something to you and the receiver of the present goes a lot further than a standard gift.

4. Give compliments and mean them. So often I see my friends wearing something beautiful or doing something that makes me so proud of them. I need to recognise that more often and let them know. 

5. Tell the people I care of how much I love them. This is a big one for me. I think it's so important that you let the ones you know how much you love them. So often we keep our feelings close, but 

6. Take time to ring people. Hearing their voice is so important. This is especially true for friends and family who are far away or that you don't see that often. The sound of their voice is such a bigger emotional connection than a quick message. I know, for example, that my Grandma really appreciates me ringing and having a chat. It can really brighten someone's day.

7. Allocate time to spend with friends. Life is busy, we all know that. We juggle a range of commitments, but taking the time to spend with friends and family is important. By allocating that time you show that they are important to you.

I'd love to hear any more ideas of how you show kindness to family and friends.
Kate xx

4 comments:

  1. I really loved this whole concept of having a word per year, but I'm struggling to pick one myself. I think kindness is a great start, we could use more kindness x

    www.sheintheknow.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lovely post and so needed at the moment. Right now, the world needs more kindness and gestures like the ones you mentioned above and I am going to try my hardest to follow your lead and make sure I can do something kind each day for someone else, no matter how big or small. I love sending little messages or funny photos to my friends just to let them know I'm thinking of them, and you're right, ringing and Skyping people makes all the difference! - Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant post, that's all I can really say. Most things are usually pretty simple, but overlooked. I hope everyone takes heed of your advice - the world would be a better place for it.

    Danielle xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my closest friends was going through a really rough time recently and despite being in the middle of an exam period, I stayed up late to bake her a cake and the next day I bought some flowers and went over to hers for a little while to give her a hug and a card. It's not always possible to do that because everyone is busy all of the time, but when possible I think it's a nice and spontaneous thing to do. There's also a deeper amount of emotional support you can give by being physically present, that is not possible over the internet.

    I also like to leave little notes for strangers in public spaces sometimes with quotes or uplifting messages, hopefully just to make someone smile.

    Joanna xx

    ReplyDelete