Wednesday, 5 April 2017

Wonderful Wednesday #54


I'm currently tucked up in my own bed at home. This week has me absolutely exhausted. With travelling on Friday night and a full schedule of coaching ever since, I've been tucked up in bed early ever since. I've even found myself dosing in front of the TV. I'm looking forward to a couple of lie ins to get me back in routine. However the week has been brilliant and when my best friend asked 'Are you happy?' I answered with a resounding yes. So on with the things that have been making me happy...

1. Chocolate orange brownie. Every month there's a market at university. The street food always smells so good, but I find myself gravitating to the brownie stand. Thick, gooey slabs of brownie in every flavour you can imagine. My difficult decision was a classic chocolate orange and it was a perfect pick me up for a long afternoon of lectures.

2. Going home. I love university so much, but it makes me appreciate home and my family so much too.

3. Smiling players. The moment the massive beam comes on a player's face because they have achieved something they never thought possible is the reason I coach. This week I have been lucky enough to work with a huge range of players: from the 7 year old who absolutely smashed the ball to the 13 year old county player who nailed a new technical aspect and the lady who was a complete beginner who bowled someone out. All are equally as special and have a huge part of my heart.

4. Late Birthday cake. My Grandma came round yesterday with a large tin of chocolate cake that she'd decorated with chocolate sprinkles. Every year she has always made me a birthday cake, so it was lovely of her to keep up that tradition even when I'm not at home.

5. House tours. My brother showed me round his new house and I can't wait until he's decorated it all. It's a little rough around the edges right now, but the space is so nice and it has so many lovely features - think wooden beams and original doors. He's so excited which makes it even lovelier.

6. Sunny afternoons. Just spent sat in the garden chatting with my mum. Mum's still quite weak so spending a lot of time sitting. But being outside in the sunshine was a lovely way to while away the hours. We spotted all the birds flitting around the garden and tried to persuade our silly spaniel not to tear up his bedding.

7. Warm Showers. The restorative type after doing exercise. When you can already feel the aches coming and the warm water washes them away. Where you turn the shower up real warm because it loosens all your muscles and you come out feeling so relaxed and sleepy.

8. Yellow fields. The oil seed rape is just starting to bloom in fields all around and it's creating swathes of yellow across the countryside. Although many rue it as it aggravates hay fever, I love the vibrant colour and how it breaks up the brown and green of the fields. It's another sign of the spring coming for me and I didn't realise how unique it is to my area at home.

9. Sweet Potatoes. I've had some absolutely stonking sweet potato dishes this week. In an attempt to use up every item of fresh produce I had in the cupboard before returning home I made a huge batch of cheesy jackets with sweet potatoes. I baked the potatoes then scooped out the middles and mixed in cheese, caramelised onion and veg and grilled with even more cheese. Then just yesterday my mum made some amazing roast sweet potatoes - perfect accompaniment to roast chicken!

So that's another week of happiness. For more listings of joy head on over to: SallyJoHelenMichelleSarah, CatSamEl KerriMimmiMartina , Peta, Kelly and our lovely newest addition Emma. Do let me know if I've missed you off and share what's been making your week special.

Kate xx

6 comments:

  1. Sitting in the sunshine with your mama seems like a fantastic way to spend an afternoon to me, glad she's on the mend.
    The warmth really radiates from this post and I love that so much, you sound very much like a happy human! And there's chocolate orange brownie so there's that!
    Have a fantastic break
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been spending so much time chatting in the sunshine and it's lovely. Chocolate brownie is always a good thing!
      xx

      Delete
  2. Oh it sounds like such a lovely week, I hope you get plenty of lie ins to restore and feel a little more like yourself again! What a lovely gran you have :)

    Peta xx
    www.pe-ta.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scheduling plenty of lie ins for this week! She's a gem xx

      Delete
  3. So pleased to hear that your mum's on the mend, and that you have a lovely few weeks to spend with her.
    Also, chocolate orange brownies?! Yum! Have a wonderful break xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cat! You are missing out if you have not sampled a chocolate orange brownie. xx

      Delete