Wednesday, 5 July 2017

Wonderful Wednesday #66


It's now been two weeks since the last Wonderful Wednesday post. I never intended to miss a week, but this time last week I was very sleep deprived and swamped by mountains of paperwork. On Friday I finished my placement and therefore my first year at university. The last couple of days were really intense, but now I'm back home and enjoying the summer. Sometimes you've just got to take a couple of days of intense work to get to the relaxing bit.

1. Balmy evenings. I just love summer evenings when it's warm enough to sit outside as the sunsets. I spent a Saturday evening as I did a whistle stop trip back home in the garden. I caught up with my brother, talking about anything and everything, as Ben wound himself round our feet. He was keen for cuddles and jumped up onto our laps.

2. Happiness. Whilst I was on placement we took the children on a trip to the beach. All the children had an amazing day, but one stuck in my head. This boy, who is usually so serious, was the happiest I had ever seen him on that beach. He worked so well with the others. The moment that will stick in my memory was when he danced around the sand pyramid he had just made. His face was full of joy. My new goal is to be as happy as he was that day.

3. Packed Lunches. Last weekend I attended another of my cricket course days. I woke ridiculously early having travelled the day before to find my Mum had made me a packed lunch. It was a little thing, but I was so appreciative. I felt like a child again when I went to eat it and found a note telling how much she loved me.

4. The kindness of friends. My university accommodation contract ran out a week before I finished placement and this week my friend took me in. I spent a week sleeping on a camping mattress on her living room floor.

5. Surprises. This Saturday I finally travelled back home for the summer. My two best friends came to pick me up from the train station, but only one knew. We carefully planned that the other wouldn't know until she saw me on the platform. It was such a lovely moment to see her face light up and we had a group hug. It has been several months since I've seen those girls. We spent the night eating fajitas and booking a girls holiday.

6. Lay ins. Much needed I can tell you. The last week of placement was intense and left very little time for sleep. It's lovely to be back in my own bed and having lazy mornings. Also big shout out to Come Dine With Me. I'd forgotten the restorative powers of watching ridiculous people eating mediocre food in a bid to host the best dinner party.

7. Being given flowers. How gorgeous is this bunch of flowers? Along with lots of very sweet cards from the children on placement, I was also given these beautiful blooms. It's nice to be appreciated for the work you do.



8. Glass of prosecco. My friend and I finished placement on Friday night and we could finally put the folders of paperwork down. Her boyfriend bought us a bottle of prosecco to celebrate and we munched on pizzas whilst putting the world to rights. It's was good to just relax for the first time that week.

9. Driving. I'm back and straight into the driving seat of my car. I'd forgotten how much I missed the time that's completely yours when you drive on your own. I think this is why I have had to seek out more moments of solitude whilst being at uni. Last night the weather was warm and I had a drive back home after coaching as the sun set. My windows were down, blowing my hair everywhere, and the music was turned up loud. I watched the colours of the sky change as I belted out the words to the songs on the radio.

10. Stalls on the side of the road. This is something you don't find in the centre of town: stalls on the side of the road selling everything from eggs to veg. The one I found this week had bunches of the most brilliant blue cornflowers for just 30p. There was no way I could drive past emptyhanded so I came back with gifts for my mum.

11. A win. This weekend I have played my first game back with my club team. It was an opportunity to catch up with all the ladies that I haven't seen whilst I've been at uni. Although I ached considerably afterwards (blaming the month I didn't do exercise), I had a great time and we bagged a win too.

Well you've got yourself a bumper edition this week. So much happy-making lurking in between some exhausting days. Now it's over to you... tell me what's made your week special and check out the rest of the gang:  SallyJoHelenMichelleSarah, CatSamEl KerriMimmiMartina , Peta, Kelly and Emma's blogs and use the hashtag on twitter and instagram - #WonderfulWednesday.

Kate xx

4 comments:

  1. Blimey, this is a bumper edition and full of lots of wonderful things!

    That little boy story is so cute, being happy in the moment is something I think we all need to be every now and then!

    I love a note in a packed lunch box, very thoughtful of your Mumma xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a good couple of weeks! Thanks for a lovely comment El x

      Delete
  2. Horray for finishing your placement and well done for completing your first year of university! You must be so proud. Enjoy this summer before it starts to get intense. Second year, there is no hiding (you'll smash it though!).

    Thats such a lovely surprise for your friend! Where abouts are you planning to go on holiday ? xx


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to second year, but I know it's going to get more intense! Happy to have a break.
      I'm coming to Canterbury. We booked the other week so I'll look out for your guide xx

      Delete