Wednesday, 4 January 2017
Wonderful Wednesday #42
Welcome to the first Wonderful Wednesday of 2017. Pull up a chair and snuggle up with a cup of something warm because it seems to have got a whole lot chillier since we passed Christmas. I've been scraping ice off my car and waking to crisp, clear, frosty mornings. The ones that lead to the most beautiful of wintry sunsets mere hours later. Despite these shortened days I've been cramming them to the top with seeing friends, spending time with my family and eating. At the weekend I head south, back to university, so I want to make the most of every moment here.
1. Bookshops. A friend and I spent a lovely morning mooching around bookshops. For every shelf we had a recommendation or a story to tell about a book. Her enthusiasm for reading really got to me as I realised how few books I'd read recently. I used to be under their bed covers with a torch reading way past my bedtime, but now I hardly read a book that is not related to my course. Partly because I have very few books with me down at university. I can't wait to find the library in Plymouth and start reading her massive recommendation list.
2. Sunsets. This must have featured on at least the last 3 wonderful Wednesdays, but I can't get over how beautiful the sunsets are in Suffolk. Every evening I rush outside with my camera to capture the last moments of light. I've even had to stop the car this week to have Adele on the radio full blast and just watch the sun setting. This week we even go to see Venus which you can see as the bright star just below the moon here.
3. New Year. I laughed and smiled myself into the new year surrounded by some of my oldest friends. We sipped wine, held hands and sung Auld Lang Syne. At midnight we pulled every party popper known to man then hugged. We sang along to Robbie and watched the fireworks. Then clad in PJs we watched the Hannah Montana movie as our eyes drooped. It's the happiest new year I have had.
4. Early nights. That lead to early mornings and productive days. I love curling up all warm and snug to an early night sometimes. My sleeping pattern has shifted into lay ins so I'm determined to get back into my usual pattern ready for working again.
5. Plaits. More specifically dutch braids. This week I have been experimenting with my hair as I have more time to play. Having nailed a single dutch braid, I went for two. Feeling slightly like a more complicated version of the pigtails I have when I was 7 wasn't a bad thing and I even had compliments during the day.
6. Knitwear shopping trips. My mum and I are not great shoppers. We usually spend more time eating on a trip than shopping. This trip was no exception - we stopped for big bowls of pasta and the lightest, gooiest chocolate orange cake. However I also bought some soft, snuggly cardigans that are already firm favourites and perfect for keeping warm this winter.
So that's what's been making my week special, but the fun does not stop there. These lovely ladies Jo, Helen, Michelle, Sarah, Sally, Cat, Sam, El , Kerri, Mimmi, Martina and Isabelle all write about the best bits of their week. To join in leave us a comment, use the hashtag on twitter or instagram or write your own post.
I'm going to whisper this really quietly, but there's mention of a little meet up between our Wonderful Wednesday gang and I simple cannot contain my excitement. I may have been running around the house singing, but these rumours can't be confirmed. Watch this space!