Wednesday, 7 November 2018
Wonderful Wednesday #90
Can you believe I've written ninety of these little posts? What an astonishing number! You find me listening to the rain on the roof as I'm snuggled in bed eating hot, buttery crumpets. I'm not sure there's a better way to start the day, although I'd rather hide from the rain here all day. The weeks are going by at an absolute flash, but this week has been one of lots of little (and pretty massive) opportunities so it'll be exciting to see how it all pans out.
1. People who support you. Isn't it just the best to know you have this amazing network of cheerleaders around you? The ones that will tell you to go for that opportunity however scary it it. To have people believe in you. To have people who send you dancing bird videos and pictures of puppies because they know it will make you feel better. They are the real champions in life and I'm determined to keep them close and tell them how much they mean to me.
2. Smores. The absolute staple of bonfire night I've been eating them all week. We have no fire so I quick blitz in the microwave gave me sticky, gooey marshmallows. I ate them by the lights of the kitchen island and felt like Nigella when she 'creeps' down to cook an indulgent snack in the middle of the night. Of course it was about half five because the clocks have changed and I'm no Nigella, but you might get the niche reference!
3. Bonfire night. I think bonfire night, might be my favourite celebration of the year, even above Christmas! There's so much excitement. The getting ready and working out just how many layers you can get under your coat. Top tip: always tights or leggings or both under trousers. The smoky smell as soon as you walk out of the door. Fifteen minutes of just staring at the sky as pure magic explodes. The booms that you feel right inside your rib cage before you hear them. After all the colour and excitement the last moments of a firework where it looks like it's raining stars.
4. Libraries. I never realised how few people used libraries and how they'd never fund the joy of them. You can walk in and borrow from hundreds of books for free. I really don't see the catch here. They are the gateway to free education, to bettering yourself and learning new things. I regularly pop to Plymouth library to get new books. As a student it's perfect because I never have to move large collections of books from place to place because once I've read it I just take it back and get a new one. It's also such a lovely place to chill out. I'll sit in one of the armchairs and read a chapter or two away from the hustle of the city centre.
5. Train travel. There's something lovely about a journey by train. It took me out into the countryside for the first time in a while and reminded me that I need to get out more. To walk in the woods before the burnt orange leaves are all gone. There's something soothing about not having to drive and just watch the world go by.
6. Totnes. If you're ever in South Devon I would highly recommend a visit to Totnes. It's full of cute, quirky shops and you could pootle round for days and see something new every time. I popped in on Saturday to have a cuppa with the lovely Michelle and we stumbled upon a food festival, the market and the coolest little cinema. I can't wait to go back for the Christmas markets.
7. Being up early enough for the sunrise. And feeling right smug about it! There's something ultimately wonderful about being able to watch the sun rise over the rooftops whilst lying in bed. The sun bathing the room in warm, golden light and the first thing you do in a day is just look out to sea.
8. The first stretch of the day. Being a morning person never really left me, but I think I'm rediscovering it this week. Waking up early for that first stretch when you're so snug feels all kinds of wonderful. Being up that early means I can pack loads into the day, be in bed for ten and get my needed nine hours of sleep.
9. Dungarees. This is my absolute favourite item of clothing right now. They are so comfy and practical, but go with absolutely everything. I can really layer up under them ready for the chillier weather and they make me feel a bit more put together. I end up wearing them at least a couple of times a week!
That's all for this week. I have a super busy week coming up with hand ins and a big cricket competition at the weekend and I don't feel prepared for either! Hopefully it will all come together but until then I'll be looking out for the little joys of everyday. For more wonderful head over to: Jo, Helen, Michelle, Sarah, Sally, Cat, Sam, El , Kerri's, and Peta's and Ellie or catch us on #wonderfulwednesday on instagram and twitter.